Monday 20 April 2009

1243 On The Road again

Tonight I have a great room at the Blyth service station on the A1M. It is one of the better equipped I have come across, complete with a double bed, a sofa bed and a bath, with a desk level luggage top, an excellent wardrobe and storage unit which includes an alcove for the kettle, two other plugs and what looks like an internet link although as I am only staying two nights I did not bother to bring a standard connection. There is the same notice about wireless as in Croydon but my computer comes up that there is still no network available and asking if the wireless switch on the computer is on, and which I presume is an electronic type of switch which I have checked and is enabled. It's a mystery, as my favourite punk rocker would say.

Yesterday morning was a clear blue but bitterly cold sky and I made a significant decision not to go to the game with Aston Villa having become very cold the previous occasion and travelling for a good two hours there was no question of having a beat the cold whisky before or during the match, although I could have brought a wee dram with me. However travelling once more within a week I believe I have brought everything else I needed and wished to do so, although I did return up the hill from he shops remembering something, but this caused only a few minutes delay. This was just as well because I had stayed working for an hour longer than planned and realised too late that I had left insufficient time to travel in time for the start of the X Factor Final. Such is the difference the events in one year can make, that missing the final or at least part of it, did not appear to be a tragedy, yet I was still trying to fit everything I wanted to do into what ever time I have of self aware existence.

To have an existence where one is not self aware of my life as now is not the form of immortality which those who seek immortality hope for. It continues to puzzle me why people will seek such immortality because surely it means carrying forward the accumulation of pain, suffering, failures and inadequacies and various degrees of sin, together with all that beauty, happiness and love which cannot be recaptured and the loss of all those relationships with family and friends, and lovers if they are not counted also as friendships. I appreciate some believe in an after life which includes everyone and every experience which has been good and where all the negative and bad has been eliminated, the kind of division created in that great film, What Dreams may come and which also included a transitional place. I am in that transitional place where there is the mixture of all experience and where one has opportunity to alter the balance up to the last moment of self conscious awareness and therefore affect how you view the balance and hopefully have sufficient insight, learning and self discipline to achieve a state acceptable to the self and which you can communicate to others appropriately beforehand, or if as me one like to write about self, or sings or paints, or sculpts or dances or whatever, although again one has to ask of those who have recreated their great sense fo darkness, of horror, of aloneness, of hell would we their inheritors wish it had been otherwise for them. So even those who live with the sense of tragedy, failure, disappointment, their own sins or the sins of others may know something of heaven when they lose their self awareness if they have believed in the immortality of what they have been doing and what they have accomplished even if the world has rejected or what they have done is unknown and therefore unappreciated by their contemporaries.

In fact by driving fast in darkness, something I hate doing and am not good at, I arrived two minutes or so before the start of the programme and only missed the preliminaries while I moved luggage in and moved car to position for the night. As for the show itself I had and have continued to have mixed feelings about the outcome. In terms of singing ability the best came second although the winner may well become another Michael Buble, I must learn to put in the accent over the e which makes such difference as how the surname is pronounced. The winner not only carried the Scottish vote, but those of every mum in the land as it was apparent that this likeable young man was doing it for his mum. The Scottish vote has been very important recently producing one oversize winner who quickly disappeared off the British map as she had come and the McDonald brothers which Louis Walsh hated as he did Journey South although the latter still appear to be having a good career British wide. I have to question if this year's winner will make it beyond his own Christmas number 1, the Long Play and the national tour.

I have no doubt about the Welsh lad who started super confident and sickening self arrogance and quickly changed into a modest lad appreciative for what had happened to him, and it was this conversion, and his self confident presence on stage which I believe did for him, as the vote was divided on balance to the young man where it was felt winning mattered more for him and his mum and gran.

I will make a confident prediction that Rhydian (I suspect the name is incorrectly spelt, it was but now corrected) will become a performance of the stage musical in the West End and Broadway, not just of revivals such as the Phantom of the Opera where he would be brilliant as the Phantom but is something new especially by Andrew Lloyd Webber. He has also become a gifted son of Wales a land of song where Tom Jones, Harry Seacombe, the lass from Tiger Bay Dame Shirley Bassey have rightly become legends and along with Max Boyce I can say about their careers I had the good fortune to be able say "I was there." Tonight he performed a duet with a cotemporary Welsh star Katherine Jenkins who has recently broadened her conventional operatic style singing talent with the music and dance show also starring Darcy Bussell. Rhydian demonstrated that he was not out of his depths in such company. At present Leon was with Kyle Minogue (spelling again no right first time) who has transformed herself from a young chick into an adult sexy performer and where the gulf in professionalism between the two was evident but only appears to have endeared him more to the mums united. The third act who would have sold the Christmas number one without question was Same Difference, the English brother and sister act who are adored by the very young and very old and those who retain the mentality to continue to adore the good U film view of life. The prediction that they will become perennial pantomime stars by Louis Walsh is true although they could make a good Euro song entry although because of our national position within Western Europe we are unlikely to ever be successful. We need a world song content and rely on the American Vote although in the context of the Euro contest the American vote would go first to Canada and then Mexico, oir would it? Italy, Germany? I suspect Ireland would be the hot favourite to gain their support along with Italy. The Mafia IRA Holy Roman alliance? Anyway it is time to get myself up and go on an explore as well as deciding what to wear for the day? Jeans under suit as yesterday's drive. Alas I think not but take them along anyway. This was to prove and exceptionally wise decision

No comments:

Post a Comment