Sunday 22 February 2009

1039 Daily Chronicle

Am feeling better about myself and the day. For the greater part I wrestled with decisions arising from the behaviour of computer manufacturers and suppliers in providing new machines with Windows Vista while still trying to sell routers and modems which will not work without additions, or will not work at all the example an AOL issued BT 105 ADSL bundled free with their original broadband options, and also beware that if you download the version of AOL 9 (Vista ready) it wipes out your favourites and address book, but fortunately you can continue to use the original AOL9 until you work out how to transfer.
I only have Vista on my desktop which creates a splendid Catch 22 situation because the only way to get the software and bring it on line to AOL, is to set up a router on another machine and communicate with the new machine remotely well that is what I think the helpful PCW world assistant explained to me. I hesitated but only to decide that it was time that I had to master yet more technology, and get a router of sufficient strength to reach all three floors and then I can use all my machines and have them showing MySpace Blogs and other work so that visitors will not be able to escape from my words when they eat or sleep, just as I do not escape from the black monolith of confidentiality at the end of my bed, and in workrooms and day rooms, reminding of the contract I have with the living as well as with the dead.
It was also a good day in other respects as I went again to the enlarged Ikea at the Metro centre to acquire more black boxes to store creative work, and then discovered that the boxes are also made in blue and red. I had only intended a small investment but on this occasion noted that the product is a discontinued line so went for ten packs in each colour 60 boxes in total. There are some taller and some smaller options and some in white , the latter were tempting especially for the black and white room in which I work except for the July 13th, 1985 poster and However as a completer finisher was diagnosed along with shaper creativity on an international management course about the same year, having set on colours black and blue and red for the work, white has to remain a side line, perhaps to house the 101 printed copies of 101 in Black and White, a first attempt to convert the Daily Mail. I will see if and how they fit and how easily it will be to seal, although a transparent cover within and black and white frame, perhaps using the boxes and leaving those at the top without the their covers. I like the idea and putting the codes on the card slots to front and side for the dedications tucked away in the fly leaves.
I am having a bit of a bitch today, this time at the new Ikea cafĂ© alongside their ginormous restaurant. I only wanted a sandwich and in fairness the sun dried tomato with Mozzarella on lettuce was delicious and reasonably priced at £2.50 but I was dying for a coke or Pepsi and it is evident that that the concept of healthy eating has been extended to the drinking because there was no unlimited soft drinks machine in sight.
The final moan must be at me because I set off without the Staples Vouchers from being a Gold Card 5% cash back customer. Having already reached the store I decided to go ahead with a purchase of Kids Glitter for the Artman cards and a dozen packs of 100 transparent pockets, flimsies as I call them
There was reason for some poor humour because having worked until 4am and slept without interruption until 8 I decided to work at sleeping some more. This process involves emptying the mind of all thought, if necessary counting sheep, yes it does work, and it did until the doorbell was rung, an obnoxious loud noise which can be heard along the street let alone over my three floors. I buy printing ink cartridges in bulk by mail order, often getting 2 for 1 making the individual cost as low as £1 -£1.50. I was told the order would arrive Monday possibly Tuesday and they arrived within 18 hours, in eight separate packets by Royal Mail on a Saturday morning at 9, I ask you. They also had the cheek to send me as a free gift two single use 35mm cameras. Where is the profit in all that? I sometimes forget there are companies who take customer care seriously. You try getting to talk to an AOL customer service! When I went on line to make the complaint I was told the message would be recorded but to make a complaint I had to ring customer services and speak to a supervisor. I did this and was told a supervisor could not be contacted because their system was down so my number was taken for a return of call which of course has not arrived.
It is St Patrick's Day and what a great day its has been for the Irish, not at the Cheltenham festival, but at cricket. Cricket, you mean Ireland plays serious Cricket? Well I knew this because it has not been uncommon for Durham to play Ireland or Scotland in the early round of a knock out cup. The cricket world up in the West Indies this spring is proving an unexpected delight and some of the lower order counties in International Cricket are showing what they are capable of on the day. Ireland beat the country regarded as the fourth playing country in the world. There is has being talked of as the greatest competitive win in this sport.
Wales beat England at Rug y Union to signal the fall of the World Champions and the ascendancy of Wales again among the home countries together with France and Italy. Sunderland won and went second in him Championship although the third team has two games in hand. If Newcastle we lose at Charlton tomorrow I will put my funds to better use. Now that is unthinkable Danny Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment